Thursday 28 March 2013

Crystal Spears- Talania interview


Picture


Crystal, thank you for taking time to do a Talania interview with us, we are so happy to have you back here again.

Who did you base your main characters on?

I can honestly say that my characters are completely imaginative.  I did not base them on or use any characteristics from friends or family.

Is Talania part of a series?

I would love to write another novel using these characters.  We shall see.

What is your favourite part of Talania?

There is this scene in the hospital where emotions run high and the level of intensity it carries just makes me shiver.  I can't really say right now what that scene holds and give details away. But, let's just say — you will know it once you read it.

How many people did you talk to when you were researching?

Probably around 25 or so.
Who was the most helpful person you interviewed and what did they tell you?

All the patients I spoke with were very helpful, but there was one that stuck out.  She expressed the importance of what woman would feel like with losing her hair and how reading material is very useful and popular during Chemotherapy. She gave me all the feelings I needed to feel while writing Talania. 

How deeply emotional was Talania?

It was emotionally painful, the emotions I went through while writing Talania.  I had to tap into a pain that I had to learn about instead of went through myself.  So once I talked to a few people and started feeling more, I probably cried over a hundred times.  Actually, to be truthful I still can't read it without crying.  So it's very emotional.  And my heart aches for those who are experiencing this in the real world.
How has Talania changed you as a person?

I will never again take my health for granted.  I may not be the healthiest person, but I'm still not suffering like others.  I think I'm more open to life as well after writing Talania.  Live fully every single day because you never know what the future will hold.  I see life and air very differently now.

What is the one thing you learned while writing Talania that sticks out the most?

How long and painful Chemotherapy actually is.  That is a huge process.  I will tell you this; those beautiful souls are strong souls.  And to endure all that on a regular timed schedule I can't even imagine.

Who supported you while you were writing?

A handful of people.  Jodi Murphy pushed me to keep going the entire time.  My street team promoted Talania with a force so strong and gave me encouragement when I needed it.  And lastly, my editor Katie Mac, she got into my head and felt my characters emotions, she knew them.  And by doing that she edited Talania beautifully. 


Thank you so much Crystal for taking the time to do this interview. We Love Talania and can't wait for it to be out.

Talania is out of 8th April 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment