Saturday 27 July 2013

Get to know me with Carey Heywood





  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've always been an avid reader. I was suffering a particularly brutal book hangover and could not find another book I wanted to read. That night I asked myself what if I wrote a book I would want to read?

  1. How long does it take you to write a book?

Usually takes me 1-3 months to finish my rough draft. I then spend the next 5 months working with betas, my editor and proof readers to polish it up.



  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I work full time mon-fri and have 3 kids. I write from 9 to 11 every night and on the weekends.




  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I underuse contractions and say my characters names too much...I also say dollop just to annoy my brother in law in every book.

  1. How do you plan to publish?

I use KDP, NookPress, Smashwords, and Createspace to publish.


  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Sometimes songs, sometimes conversations in my own past I wished had turned out differently.

  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you?

Two years ago, I was 32.



  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Read, knit, goof off on the Internet, kayak, drink grown up beverages, annoy my husband.

  1. What does your family think of your writing?

They think it's cool.

  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

Another way of telling someone to go hell is telling them to go format a book.



  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Five. All of them...

  1. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

When you hit a wall ask for help. If you hit another wall keep asking. There are so many generous authors, bloggers, readers out there ready to help.

  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

Yes! One thing I hear a lot is "You wrote my life." That's pretty friggin cool.

  1. Do you like to create books for adults?

Yes, I like my books to have some steam.


  1. What do you think makes a good story?

I like a story that's relatable. I want to feel something for the characters, whether it be love, anger, fear, annoyance....something.

  1. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? 

A marine biologist, which is funny because large bodies of water (sea monsters) scare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment