Sunday 20 October 2013

Get To Know you Interview ~ K E Osborn






  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
In high school I had a love of writing, but decided on a career in Graphic Design instead. It wasn’t until I had a vivid dream about a couple meeting through a three car pile up, that I felt like I had to write this story down.  Next thing I know the idea has turned into a Trilogy.  My dream was in October 2012, and I sat myself down and started writing solidly until the Trilogy was on paper.  It wasn’t until my mother found the work, and started reading it that I realized I wanted to publish it.

  1. How long does it take you to write a book?
My first book took me three months to write. All other my other books have taken me just over one month each to complete.   That’s working solidly, Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm).

  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Basically, I write Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm) with some small breaks in between.  Once I have an idea in my head, I like to get it all down on paper as quickly as possible.

  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
The question marks.  It stated off in the Trust Me? Trilogy with all those books having question marks at the end of their respective titles. Then, for my second book, Just Friends? (still to be published), I thought it was relevant for that story as well. So now, I have made it a challenge to myself to have all my titles as a question that will be asked during the book.

  1. How do you plan to publish? (self or publisher)
I have self published Trust Me? The Trust Me? Trilogy. 

  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
The Trust Me? Trilogy was born from a vivid dream.  I have written other books (to be released) and they have also come from dreams. I have a pen and paper on my bedside table ready, so if I wake up from a dream, then I can jot it down.  Information research is mainly done using Google and Google maps as my stories are mostly set in USA.

  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
My first book was written when I was 28 years old, in October 2012.

  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
My main hobbies would be graphic design, which I enjoy doing in my small business Swish Grafix and Web Design.  I also enjoy going to dog shows, and show dog training with my Auntie Wendy’s Akitas. My main past times would be reading and listing to music. I love Australian Rules football (AFL), and my team is the Adelaide Crows. Go Crows!

  1. What does your family think of your writing?
My family are very supportive of my writing and also very proud.  My mother helps me with the editing before it goes to a professional editor.

  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
The main thing was that I had enough imagination to actually finish a full length book. When I started out, it was merely to get a thought down on paper.  That thought ending up being the Trust Me? Trilogy.

  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have written five books so far, Trust Me? The Trust Me? Trilogy being my debut book. My favorite book would be Trust Me? because it was my first book and it led me to writing as a career.

  1. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
You need to find out ALL the information you need before you self publish, including reading all the information provided by Smashwords and Amazon. Especially things like, the USA tax laws, and proper formatting. I ended up spending a great deal of time reformatting my work. The USA tax laws require that you have an ITIN number to reduce your payable USA tax. This number takes considerable time to receive.

  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
My main source of reader interaction is on facebook. Mainly they want to know when the next book in the Trilogy is to be released, which will hopefully be in November 2013. I have had a fair few people congratulate me and review the book.

  1. Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes, this is my genre.

  1. What do you think makes a good story?
You have to feel emotion, and have a connection with the characters. I feel it is important that as you read you feel like you are part of the story or even in the story itself.

  1. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
Lots of things, firstly I wanted to be a Vet. Then, I wanted to be in the Navy. Then, I wanted to be in the Police Force. Then, I wanted to be a writer but became a Graphic Designer instead. I think at one stage, I wanted to be a professional drag car racer but I am happy now that I can call myself a writer.




No comments:

Post a Comment