Sunday 8 December 2013

S.H. Pratt ~ Get to know you interview




  1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I wrote my first book in high school but didn’t really get serious about it until early 2012.
  1. How long does it take you to write a book?
Well, that depends entirely upon the story and how many real life distractions interfere.  I’ve taken less than three months to write an entire book but on the flipside, a different one took nearly a year and it ended up being so long that I’ll have to split it into two books.
  1. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Again, that is entirely dependent on real life.  I have three kids and a hubby who require my attention.  I do write best during the hours that the kids are in bed or at school.
  1. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I go through what I can only describe as “binges”.  When I have a binge, I barely eat or sleep until the binge has worked itself out of my system and then I feel like I’m having withdrawals and a hangover. LOL
  1. How do you plan to publish? (self or publisher)
I am self-published as of July 2013
  1. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Sometimes I get an idea from what I see as I’m going about my everyday errands, sometimes it’s a song or a picture and other times it just pops into my head.  When I get an idea for a story, I let it sort of simmer in my mind for a bit.
  1. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I was a teen when I wrote my fist book in my last years of high school.
  1. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I am a quilter, preferring to hand quilt wholecloth quilts, I also love to read and watch movies… but first and foremost, I’m a mom of three awesome kids.
  1. What does your family think of your writing?
My hubby, kids and siblings think it’s awesome and that I’m sure to be the next E.L. James ~ gotta love them ~ A good portion of my extended family aren’t really sure what to think. LOL
  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Really, it shocked me just how twisted my mind can be.
  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have completed 8 books (one of which will be split in two) and have another 5 in the works.  My very favorite at this point is the big one that will be split into two called: Into the Heart of Desire & Desires of the Heart.
  1. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Really, stay true to yourself and be willing to accept challenges when they come your way.  I occasionally will enter a contest that pushes me out of my comfort zone just to keep myself and my writing sharp and improving.
  1. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I have gotten into the habit of having a “post as I write” work in progress in the notes section of my facebook page.  My readers give me regular comments and feedback on this as they love to take the writing journey with me.  They like to call themselves my “hard core stalkers” and they always let me know what the chapter they’ve just read has made them feel, how they’ve reacted or how they can’t wait for more.
  1. Do you like to create books for adults?
I love to create books… period.  Whether they are for adults or my kids, I love it… so, yes I do.
  1. What do you think makes a good story?
I think creating an emotional connection with the reader coupled with a good plot that takes some decent twists make a story great.  My favorite books are those that I can connect with emotionally.
  1. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

When I was very young, I wanted to be a Catholic nun.  LOL 








Always, My Love

Author, Liviann Walsh, was odd… she admitted it freely and openly.  She considered herself a hobbit among giants who was odd… she worked odd hours; had an odd job; and enjoyed odd hobbies.  When her life in Northern California turns sour, Livi, unable to turn to her parents as their relationship is rancorous and strained, moves to Olympia, Washington.  There, she turns to the only constant source of comfort and home she’s ever known – her cousin and best friend, Ryan.
Tristan McDermott, drama professor and rock hound, thrilled with a geode found while hiking, stops by his friend, Ryan’s, house to show it off.  As soon as his eyes land on Ryan’s diminutive cousin, he is lost.  She is reticent and wary; beautiful and interesting and it is all Tristan can do to convince Livi to date him… to let him into her life.
Enlisting Ryan’s help in his endeavor, Tristan begins to infiltrate Livi’s defenses and heart.  Drawn inexplicably to Tristan, Livi finds herself daring to open up and hope for a new source of comfort – an addition to her idea of home.  When asked to sell the rights to one of her books, Livi bravely asks Tristan to write the screenplay – he agrees, realizing she is offering her trust as well.
But when a stalker threatens to destroy their fragile home and burgeoning love, Tristan and Livi become aware of the shift in their situation both publicly and personally.  Faced with this reality, can Livi confront her long ingrained fears and her parents and is Tristan’s love strong enough to protect them both?


No comments:

Post a Comment